Friday, August 19, 2005

How Multiples Moms Really Do It...


JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Honestly though, I have heard the query a hundred times in the last 14 months of my twins' lives..."How do you do it?"

My recurrent answer has been, "I don't know". Many people think this is sarcasm, or a pathetic stab at humor, but it honestly is the truth.

As any mom knows, you don't get handed an application or wish list before or during your pregnancy...parenting is a cross between Texas Hold'em and Russian Roulette...you take a shot in the dark (ha ha) and play the hand you're given the best you can...

My days have evolved into entities larger than myself...after the twins are in bed each night I literally breathe a sigh of relief that everyone has survived happy and unscathed, and that it's all over for another 10 hrs or so, (yes, I know how lucky I am that they are good sleepers...I never take that for granted!!)

Each day brings countless judgement calls, which one is more upset, which one is more in need, which one do I take to the car, the crib, the changing table first...which one can handle waiting a few moments longer for their needs or wants to be met...I second guess myself constantly but still know at the end of the day that I did the best I could. The guilt that assailed me in the early days, (in relation to these decisions) is largely gone now...I'm not the first mom to be outnumbered by her babies and the vast majority of those babies, (and moms) past and present, survived and thrived.

In the end, that is all that matters.

7 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

LMAO!! I'm glad your back! I missed ya!
Vent when you need it, amuse us when ya can :)

((HUG))

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kylee said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Shekky said...

You've come a long way, baby!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Thank you for sharing your special mothering experience. It is true that we just set our teeth and bear with it, right?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Tess said...

I don't think any of us know how we do it! When I ask parents with grown kids about the newborn years, they get all vague--I think they don't know how they did it either. But you're right--we all just muddle on through.

Tess

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

I'm glad your back, too. I don't know how i do it either and i only have one.

i don't know what's kept me going to a job i hate for the last 13 months either.

that kermit holding the bottle entry had me worried, again, i'm glad you're back!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger mommytomypeachicks said...

What you said in here reminded me of exactly how I feel with my "Irish twins". Which one needs me more, which one can wait. I haven't gotten over the guilt yet though... I hope that will come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home